Photo by Pedro Antonio Salaverria Calahorra / 123rf.com
Click here to listen on your device and subscribe!
Welcome to Season 2 of The Book Marketing Action Podcast with Becky Robinson, where we give you information that you can immediately implement to increase your influence and market your books more successfully. In this episode, we are joined by Justin Miller — Author and CEO of CARE for AIDS, Inc.
Today’s episode is continuing the “Author Journey” series, based on Becky’s book, which is scheduled for release from Berrett Koehler publishers in April 2022. The book is called Reach: Creating the Biggest Possible Audience for Your Message, Book, or Cause.
Key Points From This Episode:
[01:35] Justin discusses the journey, founding, and growing of his nonprofit, CARE for AIDS, and how his brother David inspired his journey.
[04:39] Justin shares some of the highlights, exciting accomplishments, and impacts of CARE for AIDS over the past 13 years.
[06:37] Justin explains what has helped him get more attention and contributions that have fueled his work over the years.
[08:28] It is important to steward relationships with partners, and Justin provides examples of how he mobilizes people who are invested in his message.
[08:28] Justin reflects on the setbacks that he has faced along his journey, and what he learned from them.
[12:14] Learn about how Beyond Blood, the book written by Justin and his co-founders, has helped share the message of CARE for AIDS in a wider way.
[14:43] Justin explains how he will continue to incorporate Beyond Blood in his outreach about CARE for AIDS.
[16:05] Justin concludes by describing how he builds organic reach in the U.S. by consistently opening the conversation about AIDS in the places where he would like to see it represented.
- Consider ways that you might continue to keep your book in the conversation. One thing Justin mentioned is that his book is going to be a long-term asset in sharing the story of CARE for AIDS. Gift your book to people who might be interested in the work that you’re doing, or bring it with you everywhere you go in order to keep it circulating.
- Think about whether there’s a new book you may need to write in order to help share your work in the world. After hearing Justin’s story and the way his book has influenced the growth of people knowing about his nonprofit, is there a story tugging on your heart that you want to write?
- Donate to CARE for AIDS. It is through the support of donors that Justin is able to see the lives of families transformed and advance the work he is doing. Donte here in order to support the mission of CARE for AIDS.
- Learn more about Justin’s nonprofit organization, CARE for AIDS.
- Learn more about Beyond Blood, the book Justin and his co-founders wrote, here.
- Connect with CARE for AIDS on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Learn more about Justin and explore his website, here.
- Connect with Justin on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- If you’re looking for additional support on your book marketing journey, join us for the Reach More Readers Workshop.
Tweetables and quotes:
We’ve impacted about 25,000 clients who’ve come through the doors of our program, and they represent about 75,000 kids. And that was always part of our desire for the program, that these parents living with HIV would have the opportunity to live for 20 or 30 more years to see their kids grow up, and to help educate their kids. – Justin Miller
We are really trying to remind people and bring attention back to this issue that is societal and is really on the decline in terms of people’s interest. – Justin Miller
There are some themes that we’re really passionate about, and one of them is really talking about this idea of redemptive relationships. What does it mean to be in a relationship with people who look, who think, who believe differently than you do? And how does that help us grow? How does that change us? – Justin Miller
This kind of really organic reach that has been developed over time by being consistent and being excellent in our work has really been the key to our success. – Justin Miller
If you found value in today’s episode, we hope you’ll take a moment to share it with someone else who might benefit from it. If you have any questions or topics you’d like us to cover, please email Becky Robinson here.
Click here for our free resources.
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review.
I am the founder/CEO of the Weaving Influence team, the author of Reach: Creating the Biggest Possible Audience for Your Message, Book, or Cause, and the host of the Book Marketing Action Podcast. I’m a wife and mom of three kids, and I enjoy running, reading, writing, coffee, and dark chocolate.